Recommended Ear & Eye Protection for the Shooting Range
When heading out to the shooting range, it’s important to make sure you have all the necessary items with you to make your experience great. While making sure you have your firearms, cleaning tools, and extra ammo, you will also need to keep in mind the safety and protective gear that’s required. Safety is, of course, very important at shooting ranges and you should always review the rules of each location before you visit. Many shooting ranges will require closed-toe shoes, long pants, and will recommend a comfortable shirt on top of having ear and eye protection. While some locations may provide ear and eye protection for you at no cost or a small rental cost, if you’re a regular, you may want to invest in your own anyways.
Here are some eye protection suggestions for the range:
- Glasses or sunglasses - Some locations will allow you to use your prescription glasses or sunglasses as protection for your eyes. Review the rules of the range online or call to confirm before making your way to the range.
- These Wiley X Saber Advanced Shooting Glasses - They look cool, they’re relatively inexpensive, they meet the necessary standards, and prevent debris from entering your field of view… what more could you want?
- These (slightly, way more expensive) Oakley Men's Radar OO9211-07 Shield Sunglasses - With Oakley’s, you know they’re going to be good quality and last a long time, while also being very stylish and versatile.
Here are a few simple suggestions for ear protection:
- Foam Earplugs - Especially if your eye protection is a little more on the bulky side, earplugs may fit better in your ears than the over the top of the head options. They get the job done at a very low cost and significantly reduce the noise at the shooting range.
- These Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Pro Sound Amplification Electronic Earmuffs - These earmuffs have 1,865 customer reviews with 4.5 stars and are designed for handgun and pistol shooters looking for high NRR. They are available at a slightly more expensive but still a great price compared to some of the other earmuff options available online.
- These Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Sport Sound Amplification Electronic Shooting Earmuffs - At a slightly lower price, these earmuffs are great for the shooting range because they have built-in directional microphones that amplify range commands and other ambient sounds while protecting your ears from the sounds of the guns firing.
Keep this in mind before heading out to the shooting range to make sure you're abiding by the range's rules and not wasting any time once you get there! Let us know about some of your favorite ear and eye-protective gear that you bring to the gun range.
Leave a Comment